Wednesday, October 13, 2010

A Blessed Birthday

When wisdom comes my way I recognise it as a deep blessing. It come from time which I have yet (and hopefully still) to experience.

The gardens that I have tended have brought me this - through two particular women who I would like to thank for their Birthday Blessings.

The first is Peg - who (at 90) sculpted the most delicate, beautiful marzipan fruit to cover a fruit cake - "It is a Cornecopia" for my 30th birthday. I dropped in about a week or more ago - and she had started the process!! I remember looking at the cake and wondering "oohhh I wonder who/what that is for, it seems to early for Christmas cakes!" Thank you Peggy for the most outstanding cake.

A lot of the gardening wisdom I have learnt has come by listening to and observing friends and clients (hmmm hard to make that distinction at times) with the patience and passion to share what they know. From Betty - who like Peg inspires me with her passion and determination for life - I received a card - and I want to share the words inside. A fuscia hangs down with a Hummingbird flying towards its stamen:

Legends say that hummingbirds float free of time, carrying our hopes for love, joy and celebration.
Like a hummingbird, we aspire to hover and savor each moment as it passes, embrace all that life has to offer and to celebrate the joy of everyday.
The hummingbird's delicate grace reminds us that life is rich, beauty is everywhere, every personal connection has meaning and that laughter is life's sweetest creation.

You never know where your interests will guide you and who they will present across your path. And although the flowers that we have tended together wither season by season I have you deep in my heart.

A deeply happy Birthday. 

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you had such a wonderful day, re: hummingbirds, your statement makes me even happier that I chose them to adorn my chest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope that they always bring these blessings into your heart on their wings.

    ReplyDelete